Infineonxmc build not working after update

Hi,

I’m working with platformio-cli on linux fedora 32-bit and ubuntu20.04 64-bit. Building of the simple arduino blink application on platform infineonxmc does not work since the last update. Error messages after pio run start with:

Ubuntu 20.04
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0x92 in position 257: invalid start byte:
File “/home/user/.platformio/penv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/platformio/builder/main.py”, line 168:
env.SConscript("$BUILD_SCRIPT")
File “/home/user/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/…/engine/SCons/Script/SConscript.py”, line 597:
return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)

Fedore 32-Bit
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf8’ codec can’t decode byte 0x92 in position 257: invalid start byte:
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/platformio/builder/main.py”, line 156:
env.SConscript("$BUILD_SCRIPT")
File “/home/user/.platformio/packages/tool-scons/script/…/engine/SCons/Script/SConscript.py”, line 541:
return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mars

to… platformio-infineonxmc? PlatformIO? Or your system? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, the issue is related to the 1.1.4 update to platformio-infineonxmc, and is one of the weirdest of errors… one of the libraries has a Unicode apostrophe in it’s library manifest… it’s been identified, but they haven’t bothered fixing it yet. I’ve just done a PR to fix it so hopefully it will be addressed soon!

In the meantime, either use the 1.1.3 version of the framework (i.e. platformio-infineonxmc@1.1.3 in your platformio.ini) OR patch the file locally by editing ~/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoxmc/libraries/BGT24LTR11-Pulsed-Doppler-Radar/library.properties and replacing the gobbledygook apostrophe in paragraph=Infineon's 24 GHz with a normal one. :wink:

Hi Peter,
thanks a lot for your solution and the fast response! I replaced the apostrophe and everything works like before. Is there a possibility to see which file causes the error?

I was testing with a XMC2Go board. For a control application I want to use a 16-pin TSSOP version of XMC1100 (cheap, enough processing power, flash and ram for a lot of applications). I made a simple test board (controller and 2 leds), adapted the xmc1100_xmc2go board file and the pins_arduino.h file and use a modified XMC2Go board for programming.

1 Like

Not really, because it is a very unusual error. The giveaway here that it was a library was when the error occured… the build proper hadn’t started… it was at the stage the Library Depenecy Finder was still scanning stuff and putting together the library tree…

PACKAGES:
 - framework-arduinoxmc 1.4.0
 - toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi 1.70201.0 (7.2.1)
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 257: invalid start byte:

That at least indicated it wasn’t related to a user code error.

Then, is there a simple way to only include needed libraries into the build process, or to avoid that unused library folders are processed by the LDF?

That is the job of the Library Dependency Finder - to work out what libraries are needed - , so no, not without doing it’s job for it! :wink: