Im new and im like a lost puppy

Hi there, THank you for taking the time to look a this. Im very new to platformio but after 11 hours of struggling i still have no clue what im missing.

I am on a totally fresh install of VScode and The pio env.

I keep having a million small errors and most of them arent in my code file.

I’ve looked through a lot of posts, gthub questions and followed youtube tutorials to no avail.
Im sure im just missing something small and simple that comes with experience.

Here is my .ini file

; PlatformIO Project Configuration File
;
;   Build options: build flags, source filter
;   Upload options: custom upload port, speed and extra flags
;   Library options: dependencies, extra library storages
;   Advanced options: extra scripting
;
; Please visit documentation for the other options and examples
; https://docs.platformio.org/page/projectconf.html

[env:esp8285]
platform = espressif8266
board = esp8285
framework = arduino
lib_deps = links2004/WebSockets@^2.3.6
-Werror=Wno-error
-Wformat-overflow=
-Wdeprecated-declarations=

Ive attached a screen shot of my envirement to show the errors in terminal upon build i constantly hit my head on, the extensions i have installed and the “unable to open file” error i keep getting on the problems page in the terminal

You can’t just redefine compiler flags like that by writing them directly with no prefix in the platformio.ini. Use build_flags and build_unflags if you need to. In this case I don’t really see why you would need those flags, I suggest deletion.

Regarding the “Problems” section: I’m seeing two deprecation warnings regarding the usage of SPIFFS in your code. However, the warning can be safely ignored, it’s not a compiler error and won’t give you troubles in this version. Then there are two warnings in your library code.

The Adafruit neopixel warning is valid, but it has since been fixed in the main branch.

Meaning if you use https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel/archive/refs/heads/master.zip it should go away. Again, this is just a deprecation warning and does not affect installation.

The “Unable to open file” error is the more critical one. The path looks very long so you might be hitting the
MAX_PATH limitation. Either rename the project folder to shorten the path, or enable Windows long paths as general countermeasure.

1 Like

Hey Max,
First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to look at my problems and respond!

secondly I must say wow… every problem but the adafruit one and one in my code were caused by the windows long path issue.

Changed it in my registry and boom, it all compiled…

I never thought of that since other parts of the program were just fine with the name, like the file explorer pane. so weird…

Related Question:
I imported my existing arduino sketch, and when I did there were no options to change where the project is stored. Is this intended behavior or should I open a suggestion ?

The path length monster strikes again! Thank goodness heroes like you are on standby!
Thank you very much Max!!

I remember from my work days, having to use Windows 7 and 10. The file explorer allowed path names longer than the maximum allowed, but when you tried to copy or move a file from “the depths” it would complain about something else other than the path length, and fail!

Cheers,
Norm.

1 Like