How to program ATtiny 85 with PlatformIO / VScode?

Thanks! We have progress…

Now I get the message to plug in the device within 60 secs

AVAILABLE: micronucleus
CURRENT: upload_protocol = micronucleus
Uploading .pio\build\attiny85\firmware.hex
> Please plug in the device (will time out in 60 seconds) ... 
> Device search timed out!

but the device can’t be found.

Per my earlier message I can’t see the device in Device Manager. Understand that I should see libusb-win32 Digispark Bootloader but I don’t see this device after installing Digistump Drivers. I’m using Win11

Can you try installing the drivers from C:\Users\<user>\.platformio\packages\tool-micronucleus\Digistump_Drivers instead?

And just to make sure: This device will only be briefly visible for a few seconds after the Digispark is plugged in. Then it will leave bootloader mode. You have to unplug the device and replug the device for each upload / entering the USB bootloader.

Installed the driver from the above micronucleus location and only plugged the device in when the message please plug in the device... showed on VSC but it didn’t connect.

Looking at the device manager what should I be able to see (for a few seconds) once the driver is installed and the device is plugged?

Yes, exactly that.

<text to fillup 20 words limit…>

Sorry don’t understand :slight_smile:

I have the Device Manager open and I don’t see any changes when I plug in the ATtiny85 (I have restarted Windows). Shouldn’t the device libusb-win32... show up for a few seconds the bootloader is active?

No that was just to get the post sent to the forum, posts below 20 words are rejected by the system.

Weird. Either there’s something wrong with Windows, the USB cable / port, the board, or it doesn’t have a bootloader on it. I can test with my digispark on Windows 10 later today.

Thanks for all your help. This has helped a lot already.

Just as an FYI my ATtiny85 has the USB connector so it’s directly plugged in. Also I have 3 devices and they all behave the same…

Short update here. The devices only seem to connect when connected via a USB hub; when plugging them in directly Windows fails to see them (tried different USB ports on the laptop).

So I have started another route; installing this on a Fedora laptop where I run VSC but given this is a Windows thread I have created a new topic