How to force rebuild of arduino-esp32 framework?

I need to use vTaskList() from FreeRTOS in the arduino-esp32 framework. By default this is left out, so I added the necessary configurations to FreeRTOSConfig.h. Since the framework was built before and is cached - how can I force Platformio to rebuild it?

Arudino-ESP32 uses prebuilt libfreertos.a that was built once by the developers using the ESP-IDF on which a particular core version was built. If you wish to replace the included FreeRTOS version, you will have to recompile the ESP-IDF base of the same version with your config modifications and replace the libfreertos.a (in C:\Users\<user>\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\sdk\lib). Neither Arduino IDE nor PlatformIO can do this with the push of a single button (the source code to rebuild FreeRTOS isn’t even included in the Arduino-ESP32 distribution!) and need some setup. This was also discussed in ESP32 SOLO on Arduino Framework Setup - #5 by maxgerhardt.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. This is definitely too much effort for me - I will try to get along without vTaskList.