helloWorld standard platform io (all SHOULD work automaticaly?° not working after 2 weeks and 100 tries -reinstall

A wee word in your shell-like my friend:

I read your comments, thank you very much. It said, and still does, //Quotes are changed from double quotes it doesn’t say //Quotes are changed from double quotes so that I can paste this code into the forum, because I haven’t yet figured out how to use three (or more) backticks to format the code in the forum. (or something similar).

So, to me, your comment was simply saying “I’ve changed the quotes to single ones in the hope that it might work.” which, obviously will not compile as C/C++ code.

So, wind your neck in slightly, especially if you are asking people to volunteer their time to investigate and help you with your problem.

Anyway, that aside, read on…

I compiled your code, with the quotes changed back to legal C/C++ double ones, using your own platformio.ini file. I won’t bore you with my first compilation as it was in verbose mode and initially downloaded and built the entire framework. My second compile gives this:

pio run

Processing esp32doit-devkit-v1 (platform: espressif32; board: esp32doit-devkit-v1; framework: arduino)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/espressif32/esp32doit-devkit-v1.html
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (esp-prog) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduinoespressif32 3.10004.200129 (1.0.4) 
 - tool-esptoolpy 1.20600.0 (2.6.0) 
 - toolchain-xtensa32 2.50200.80 (5.2.0)
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> http://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 26 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
No dependencies
Building in release mode
Retrieving maximum program size .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.elf
Checking size .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [          ]   4.7% (used 15436 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [==        ]  16.5% (used 216621 bytes from 1310720 bytes)
========================================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 1.74 seconds ==========================================================================

So, it worked fine. For me. However, just to be clear, I’m not using Windows 10, I’m on Linux. But at least it compiles for me, using your exact files, from the command line at least.

If I use Visual Studio Code, and compile it there, it still works perfectly. Good news for me, not helping you much though.

In addition to what @manuelbl is asking, can you please list the extensions you have installed in VSCode. In case you are not aware, click the “extensions” button on the left toolbar, and the make sure that “installed” is selected at the top. Mine looks like this:

If you have any other C/C++ extensions installed than the one listed here, it might be interfereing with your comopilations, it has happened before.

Also, on the PlatformIO Home page, what versions are being displayed? Mine again looks like this:

In VSCode, please execute a Help->About and let us know the result. Mine is as follows:

And finally, for now, are you running a virus scanner or similar? You are on Windows 10 so you should be. I wonder if you need to white-list the compiler tools (and/or the folders they live in etc) in order to have the work correctly. Just a thought, if you disconnect from the internet and disable your virus scanner, does a compilation work? I would be loathe myself, to disable my virus scanner on Windows while connected, but maybe that’s just me?

Well, I’ve seen plenty myself some pretty complicated. have you heard of Marlin? Version 2.00 onwards requires PlatformIO to compile the code for many different 3D Printers. I rather suspect that if PlatformIO was an empty boot and awful tool that there would be numerous complains and Marlin wouldn’t have bothered with it.

You might also want to amend your profile:

Trying for a YEAR every now and then…
if platform IO has evolved ?? apearently NOT
VERY FRUSTRATING NOTHING WORKS platform IO is FAKE
All UNEXPLAINED ERRORS NO REFERENCE
PLEASE KILL PLATFORM AUTOMATION it kills everything

because, it’s simply not true. PlatformIO works fine for many many people.

And, I’ve had a look at some of your other posts, I’m happy to give you the benefit of the doubt that English is not your first language (and I’m ashamed to say that as a Scotsman, my mastery of other languages is pretty abysmal, I have a small amount of Italian only) but your posts are nothing more than rants in places.

if you want help from people:

• Be nice!
  • Don’t SHOUT!
  • Give us something to work on, what you have done, versions of anything relevant, code examples, what happens etc.
  • And don’t forget, you can always pay for support if you want “instant” answers. Free help takes longer because we have work to do too!

Take care my friend, stay safe. We live in weird times.

Cheers,
Norm.

The main error message that I can spot is:

xtensa-esp32-elf-g++: error: src\main.cpp: No such file or directory

So the C++ compiler cannot find main.cpp. Just to confirm: the C++ code you have posted is in a file named main.cpp with a folder name src within your project folder?

If so, you are not the only person to experience this problem and unfortunately there is no clear indication of the root cause. The most likely ones are:

1. A virus scanner or some other security solution interferes and tries to protect user data from access by untrusted executables, or the Python installation fro accessing user data.
  2. A path to the project or PlatformIO installation that is in fact a network drive (including OneDrive).
  3. A path to the project or PlatformIO installation including spaces or non-ASCII characters.

So can you provide more information:

1. Are you using a virus scanner or some other security solution? If so, which one?
  2. Is your home directory a network drive, mapped to a network drive or a OneDrive directory?
  3. Does your home directory include space or non-ASCII characters, in particular the part you have edited to xxxxx?

This occurred to me.

In VSCode, how do you open your project file(s)?

I don’t use “workspaces” as such, I use File->Open Folder. Then I navigate to the location that my project lives in. At this point, I believe that if a file named platformio.ini is found, the PlatformIO Home page opens, giving the toolbar at the bottom and so on.

I’m wondering if you do something similar and are seeing these errors, or, are you simply using File->Open to open the individual files, which might cause the build and/or upload terminals not to be in the correct folder when attemting to compile?

Try going to Terminal->New Terminal (on the VSCODE menu bar) when you have opened this sample project which is causing you grief. It should display the current folder that you are in. Please copy and paste the location into your reply on this thread.

When you have done that, in the opened new termial window, just run a dir command please, and post the output here as well.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

since more then a year i tried platformio, always without any success.
‘’’
hoped after 2 years things improved , so hardly … frustration all the way

main.cpp is indeed automaticaly created as a newsimple project is created. only one correct line added a Serial.printl(“bla bla”):

I know there are complex programs,an would accept a problem with something complex but one line print hello world is NOT a chalange

no library included all  very standard, no chalange at all
         but it fails on the compiler ???!!!    ( trust level on platformio is   near to zero for that)
         the forum contains the same error reports  since 2018

so I doubth  someone is using this  thing  ...

followed your suggestion to try offline, and vscode-platformio environment runs a lot faster
( program io does a lot of calling home ???!!!) spying on people is not the way for an ide.

that said ...    howver simple the program  it does not compile the same error remains;
                      something is seriously WRONG   ( 3 machines  same result )

extentions :     installed  C/C++   that works  ( clang) 1;0.1)
                                 c/c++  extentions   ( 1.0.0)
                                 c/c++   Snippets    ( 0.0.14)
                                 c/c++ intellisense  (  0.2.2)
                                 cmAKE TOOLS         ( 1.4.2)
                                 include Autocomplete   (0.0.4)
                                 platform IDE     (2.1.0)
                                 arduino           (0.3.2)

fails online and offline same error

extentions :     installed  C/C++   that works  ( clang) 1;0.1)
                                 c/c++  extentions   ( 1.0.0)blokked
                                 c/c++   Snippets    ( 0.0.14)   blokked
                                 c/c++ intellisense  (  0.2.2)
                                 cmAKE TOOLS         ( 1.4.2)    blokked
                                 include Autocomplete   (0.0.4)  blokked
                                 platform IDE     (2.1.0)
                                 arduino           (0.3.2)

fails on line and online   same error

Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option

CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
DEBUG: Current (esp-prog) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:

• framework-arduinoespressif32 3.10004.200129 (1.0.4)
  • tool-esptoolpy 1.20600.0 (2.6.0)
  • toolchain-xtensa32 2.50200.80 (5.2.0)
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder → Library Dependency Finder (LDF) — PlatformIO latest documentation
    Found 26 compatible libraries
    Scanning dependencies…
    No dependencies
    Building in release mode

Compiling .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\src\main.cpp.o

Generating partitions .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin

xtensa-esp32-elf-g++: fatal error: no input files

compilation terminated.
*** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\src\main.cpp.o] Error 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\xxxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 510, in
main()
File “C:\Users\xxxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 493, in main
with stdout_binary if args.output == ‘-’ else open(args.output, ‘wb’) as f:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin’
*** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin] Error 1
================================== [FAILED] Took 2.13 seconds ==================================
The terminal process “C:\Users\xxxx.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe ‘run’” terminated with exit code: 1.

‘’’

the approach to this error seems more splashing arround then trying to solve a problem
it shows the environment platform io and vscode is NOT TRUSTED;

i see     gen_esppart.PY   failing drasticaly     on opening a miszsing file ??? not  in my simple code 
 i see   xtensa esp"é-elf-g++  ( the compiler  not finding the  singele  coded file  placed correctly in /src
         is see the compiler looking  on the wrong spot ,an esp type directory ( doit...)   will never contain my source 
         why the hell is it looking there ?????

enough real reasons  PLATFORMIO   is behaving  more  then odd after a simple install on the most simple program
the  trust in a packet that can not compile  a single line  program correctly quoted ismore  then LOW
writing a complex RTOS program with syncs between tasks, a	nd ton of libraries ...  that is a load test

not a simple helo world .... that is the beinners test .... not worth to wait years for such a packet 

After 2 years  I'm realy  frustrated  with platform IO it  has a ZERO success rate .

Interesting! PlatformIO does not create any source files for me. Mind you, I create my projects manually with pio init --board uno or similar. I have not created a project from VSCode. Yet.

Hopefully you have upgraded PlatformIO since then? If not, you are missing a lot of improvements. This is why I asked you to check the version numbers - did you do that?

Yes, I know. So how come it works for just about everyone else? Something is wrong, somewhere, and we need to find out what, and where.

I’m using it. All the people with 3D printers running Marlin are using it. You can have your doubts, but the facts say otherwise.

I believe it makes checks for updated toolchains etc. I’m not 100% certain of what else it does, but spying isn’t one of them. Speaking of spying, you are using VSCode with build in “telemetry”. Stop using that if you don’t like spying. VSCode calls home an awful lot.

Check under your project, does this file exist? If not, your system is probably borked.

So, @manuelbl asked you for some details on how you installed python, platformio etc, can you provide the answers please.

Then can you answer my other questions above about how you open files, what lication does the VSCode terminal open in when yiu have a project open.

Instead of continuing to rant about PlatformIO, try answering the questions, that way, you get better help. Not answering means we have no data to work with to help you.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

‘’’
best,

I readly have horrible problems with platformIO (goal writing esp32 RTOS application)!
please do not douth it does not work at all mixing up all what it should not mix up
and it has been awfull like that for years now.

on a fresh generated system fresh installed everything !

i Realy want to work with the vscode Editor

I’m using windows(sorry for the linux fans) as start of workstation, but need to remote into linux machines as well (VSCODE facilities)
I’m prepared to create the project - compile - upload using the command line if that helps
all the manuals are NOT HELPFULL for that kind of work.

can you describe how i bypass all the “HOME programIO” user interface , to get a working platform io
that I can use with: -libaries
- own library
- create project
- compile he project with error feedback in teh editor
- upload to the esp32 (usb and over the network)

it is not my intention to use  HELLO world
        but since hello world fails DRAMATICALY    it makes working impossible 
        A standard project in   c:/user/name/     using lib/scr/include....   attempts to find its sources in  device dedicated area's( a HUGE SETUP MISTAKE!!!)

looking for files in the device area is a horrible PLATFORM IO ERROR

all that is hidden to the user by platformio… and clearly wrong (since 2 jears!!!)
pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\ is for typical different devices…
src\ main.cpp <<<<all the sources not in pio
lib
include
makes it impossible to do anything …

please forget about “HOME PIO”

allow me to type the commands from a terminal wich errors correlated to the respective source that I can work at least.
that I can use with: -libaries
- own library
- create project
- compile he project with error feedback in teh editor
- upload to the esp32 (usb and over the network)

‘’’

Ok, here you are, but bear in mind this is for an Arduino Uno, not an ESP32 as I don’t have one. I’m on Linux, but I’ll show the Windows commands where I can.

Create a project

REM Create the folder.
cd SourceCode
mkdir dreuzel
cd dreuzel

REM Create the new project for an Uno
pio init --board Uno

The output from this last command is as follows:

The current working directory /data/SourceCode/dreuzel will be used for the project.

The next files/directories have been created in /data/SourceCode/dreuzel
include - Put project header files here
lib - Put here project specific (private) libraries
src - Put project source files here
platformio.ini - Project Configuration File

Project has been successfully initialized! Useful commands:
`pio run` - process/build project from the current directory
`pio run --target upload` or `pio run -t upload` - upload firmware to a target
`pio run --target clean` - clean project (remove compiled files)
`pio run --help` - additional information

Create a library to use

You asked about a library, I don’t have one that’s small, so I made this one.

First we need a folder within lib for our new library. Note that this will make the library local to this project only. See later for how it can be used in other projects.

mkdir lib/LED

Now, save this next bit to lib/LED/led.h

#ifndef LED_H
#define LED_H

#include "Arduino.h"
#include "stdint.h"

class led {
public:
    led(uint8_t whichPin);
    void on();
    void off();
    void toggle();

uint8_t getState();

private:
    uint8_t pin;
    bool currentState;
};

#endif // LED_H

Then save this bit to lib/LED/led.cpp

#include "led.h"

led::led(uint8_t whichPin) {
    currentState = LOW;
    pin = whichPin;
    pinMode(pin, OUTPUT);
    off();
}

void led::on() {
    currentState = HIGH;
    digitalWrite(pin, HIGH);
}

void led::off() {
    currentState = LOW;
    digitalWrite(pin, LOW);
}

void led::toggle() {
    currentState = !currentState;
    digitalWrite(pin, !(digitalRead(pin)));
}

uint8_t led::getState() {
    return currentState;
}

That’s your new library. The contents of your lib folder should resemble this:

lib
   LED
      led.h
      led.cpp

Write a sketch.

Using notepad, or whatever people use these days on Windows, save the following as src/main.cpp.

// Make sure PlatformIO can use the Arduino Language.
#include "Arduino.h"

// Make sure we can see the LED library.
#include "led.h"

// Define an LED on pin 5.
led fred(5);

void printLEDStatus() {
    Serial.print("LED is ");
    Serial.println(fred.getState() == HIGH ? "ON" : "OFF" );
}

void setup() {
    Serial.begin(9600);
    Serial.println("LED Library Testing");

// Current state.
    printLEDStatus();

// LED on.
   Serial.println("\nTurning LED on...");
    fred.on();
    printLEDStatus();    
    delay(1000);

// LED off.
   Serial.println("\nTurning LED off...");
    fred.off();
    printLEDStatus();    
    delay(1000);

// Toggle LED 6 times. That's THREE flashes!
   Serial.println("\nToggling LED...");
   for (int x = 0; x < 6; x++) {
        fred.toggle();
        printLEDStatus();
        delay(500);
   }

Serial.println("\nAll done. Game over.");
}

void loop() {
    // Nothing happening here.
}

Compile the sketch

Easy peasy. the pio run command will compile the code. The following is what I get when I did it:

norman@Hubble:~/SourceCode/dreuzel$ pio run
Processing uno (platform: atmelavr; board: uno; framework: arduino)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/uno.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (2.2.0) > Arduino Uno
HARDWARE: ATMEGA328P 16MHz, 2KB RAM, 31.50KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (simavr) On-board (simavr)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0 
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
Found 7 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <LED>
Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/uno/src/main.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/lib5ba/LED/led.cpp.o
Archiving .pio/build/uno/lib5ba/libLED.a
Archiving .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
Indexing .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
Indexing .pio/build/uno/lib5ba/libLED.a
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/CDC.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial0.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial1.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial2.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial3.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/IPAddress.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/PluggableUSB.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Print.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Stream.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/Tone.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/USBCore.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WInterrupts.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WMath.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/WString.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/abi.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/hooks.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/new.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_analog.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_digital.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.S.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/uno/FrameworkArduino/wiring_shift.c.o
Archiving .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduino.a
Indexing .pio/build/uno/libFrameworkArduino.a
Linking .pio/build/uno/firmware.elf
Checking size .pio/build/uno/firmware.elf
Building .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex
RAM:   [=         ]  14.7% (used 302 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [=         ]   7.6% (used 2462 bytes from 32256 bytes)
========================= [SUCCESS] Took 2.14 seconds =========================

You can see all the Arduino core files for an Uno being compiled in the above output. If you are using an ESP32 board, you will see different filenames.

Upload to the Board.

There are two ways to upload code to an Arduino Uno. The first is the normal bootloader method, the second is to use an ICSP device. I’ll take the easy way out and use the bootloader. The pio run --target upload command is all that is needed.

norman@Hubble:~/SourceCode/dreuzel$ pio run --target upload
Processing uno (platform: atmelavr; board: uno; framework: arduino)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/atmelavr/uno.html
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR (2.2.0) > Arduino Uno
HARDWARE: ATMEGA328P 16MHz, 2KB RAM, 31.50KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (simavr) On-board (simavr)
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0 
 - tool-avrdude 1.60300.200527 (6.3.0) 
 - toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
Found 7 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <LED>
Building in release mode
Checking size .pio/build/uno/firmware.elf
RAM:   [=         ]  14.7% (used 302 bytes from 2048 bytes)
Flash: [=         ]   7.6% (used 2462 bytes from 32256 bytes)
Configuring upload protocol...
AVAILABLE: arduino
CURRENT: upload_protocol = arduino
Looking for upload port...

Warning! Your `/etc/udev/rules.d/99-platformio-udev.rules` are outdated. Please update or reinstall them.
More details: https://docs.platformio.org/page/faq.html#platformio-udev-rules

Auto-detected: /dev/ttyUSB0
Uploading .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude: reading input file ".pio/build/uno/firmware.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (2462 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.44s

avrdude: 2462 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex:
avrdude: input file .pio/build/uno/firmware.hex contains 2462 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.34s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 2462 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:00, H:00, L:00)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

========================= [SUCCESS] Took 2.83 seconds =========================

And now, the LED on pin 5 is flashing and doing stuff, until it reaches the 6th flash of course, then is stops.

Error feedback in VSCode.

Nope, sorry. If you are using the command line to compile etc, then you don;t get the benefit of the VSCode editor. You get the errors and warnings displayed on the terminal (cmd or powershell) and it’s up to you to fix them.

Upload to the esp32

Again, you are on your own here. I don;t have an ESP32 device, but the same command as I explained above will do the trick. A small reminder:

• To compile, you must be in the folder where the file named platformio.ini lives. Then pio run will compile all the source files found in src and lib (and all folders within lib and src as well.)

• To upload, you must be in the folder where the file platformio.ini lives. The command pio run --target upload will program your device using whichever COM port it finds connected to the device.

If it cannot fond a COM port, you can tell it which upload_port to use by editing platformio.ini and adding something like upload_port=COM4 where COM4 is the correct port.

Using a Library in Other Projects.

I’m working on a number of useful libraries at the moment. These are intended for Arduino and PlatformIO so rather than adding them to a project, I make them sort of globally available.

NOTE It’s not good to have libraries installed globally as they can interfere with each other when you have multiple platforms installed.

Having said that, this is what I do:

cd SourceCode
mkdir libraries

Now, copy the lib/LED folder, and all contents, into the newly created SourceCode/libraries folder. You must take the LED folder and it’s contents.

Delete the lib/LED folder from your project.

Edit platformio.ini and add this line:

lib_deps=c:/users/YOUR_NAME/SourceCode/libraries/

The path name can be relative to the platformio.ini file. If you have this structure:

SourceCode
   dreuzel
      lib
      src
      platformio.ini
   libraries
      LED
         led.h
         led.cpp

then you can use this instead of the full path given above:

lib_deps=../libraries/

It still works. You just have to be careful to get enough ..s in your path! (ask me how I know?)

And yes, the directory separators go in the proper, Unix, forward slash manner. None of that CPM back slash stuff that Microsoft “borrowed” many many years ago. :grin:

You should also remove the .pio folder in your project. There may be old versions of the library files in there.

Installing Other People’s Libraries.

Let’s say you need a library that’s been published for PlatformIO. Let’s say it’s the USART library, published by some bloke named NormanDunbar.

In platformio.ini you would simply add:

lib_deps=
   ../libraries/
   NormanDunbar/USART

Note the indentation by the way, it’s mandatory. Spaces or tabs are accepted. The above allows you to use your LED library as above, plus the USART one you are interested in.

Now when you compile the code for the first time, you will get the USART library installed locally, for this project.

Let us know how you get on with the above. If it all works as described, then PlatformIO is working fine and the problem lies in VSCode or something you are doing in VSCode.

If it doesn’t work as described, your installation is borked, either by an incorrect installation procedure or by something that has happened since.

As we keep asking, please explain exactly how you installed VSCode and PlatformIO. You never seem to answer direct questions.

Cheers,
Norm.

Ok, the above (long) post was for an UNO - because I have one and can test what I write. You are on an ESP32 type thingy. From one of your previous posts, I see this in your platformio.ini:

[env:esp32doit-devkit-v1]
platform = espressif32
board = esp32doit-devkit-v1
framework = arduino

So I changed the file in my above example to match that setup, and, in VSCode, clicked the “tick” button on the PlatformIO toolbar at the bottom of the screen. I got the following output whith no other changes other that the platformio.ini file:

> Executing task: platformio run <

Processing esp32doit-devkit-v1 (platform: espressif32; board: esp32doit-devkit-v1; framework: arduino)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/espressif32/esp32doit-devkit-v1.html
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduinoespressif32 3.10004.200129 (1.0.4) 
 - tool-esptoolpy 1.20600.0 (2.6.0) 
 - toolchain-xtensa32 2.50200.80 (5.2.0)
Found 28 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- <LED>
Building in release mode
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/src/main.cpp.o
Generating partitions .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/partitions.bin
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/lib5ba/LED/led.cpp.o
Archiving .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
Indexing .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/libFrameworkArduinoVariant.a
Archiving .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/lib5ba/libLED.a
Indexing .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/lib5ba/libLED.a
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/Esp.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/FunctionalInterrupt.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/HardwareSerial.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/IPAddress.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/IPv6Address.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/MD5Builder.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/Print.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/Stream.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/StreamString.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/WMath.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/WString.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/base64.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/cbuf.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-adc.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-bt.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-cpu.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-dac.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-gpio.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-i2c.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-ledc.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-matrix.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-misc.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-psram.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-rmt.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-sigmadelta.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-spi.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-time.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-timer.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-touch.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-uart.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/libb64/cdecode.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/libb64/cencode.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/stdlib_noniso.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.c.o
Compiling .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/FrameworkArduino/wiring_shift.c.o
Archiving .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/libFrameworkArduino.a
Indexing .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/libFrameworkArduino.a
Linking .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.elf
Retrieving maximum program size .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.elf
Checking size .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.elf
Building .pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/firmware.bin
RAM:   [          ]   4.7% (used 15444 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [==        ]  16.6% (used 217161 bytes from 1310720 bytes)
esptool.py v2.6
===================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 16.92 seconds =====================================================

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

So, you can see that with exactly the same code for my (admitedly noddy) test sketch, I can compile it for an Uno or for a esp32doit-devkit-v1 board.

If you are still failing to get this to compile on your setup, the problem is not PlatformIO.

Cheers,
Norm.

Thanks for the help… this seems hopeless…

using run commands exactly the same error occurs
It clearly seems that
TOOLBOX,compiler ,SRC, package directories are completely messed up during the standaard instalation.
have no controll over those. Ican copy them(compiler/tools) from one directory to another but not without creating a mess (without internal information!)
A standard Platform io install install places these things all over my computer but not consistenly…
It searches for sources where i think the compiler is supposed to be …
adding the compiler fails on additional stuff failing

Where do " I " set the tools directory
where do " I " set the compiler
Where do I set the tempory files
… (all unanswered questions …

the instalation procedure does not know , i do not know , is there anyone who does know…

this is a big mess… "I seriously doubt anyone has this thing realy running "

ther is to much in error to establish any trust

i think the instalation procedure is lost in its own space …(tested on 3 different separated machines!!!0
this release , this program was NEVER TESTED on WINDOWS,

‘’’
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell Install PowerShell on Windows, Linux, and macOS - PowerShell | Microsoft Learn

=================================================================================
PS C:\devl\projects\test> pio run
Warning! lib_extra_dirs configuration option is deprecated in section [platformio]! Please move it to global env section
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
PACKAGES:

LDF: Library Dependency Finder → Library Dependency Finder (LDF) — PlatformIO latest documentation
    Found 32 compatible libraries
    Scanning dependencies…
    No dependencies
    Building in release mode

compilation terminated.
*** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\src\main.cpp.o] Error 1 <<the compiler should place it there !!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< framework badly installed ??? have only 1 button all is automaticaly failing !!!
File “C:\Users\xxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 510, in
main()
File “C:\Users\xxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 493, in main
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin’ <<<<<< I can not INVENT this FILE it is to be created !!!
*** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin] Error 1 <<<< no file is created due to failuers Where wich ones ??? what is it supposed to be
================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 10.60 seconds =================================================================================
Processing esp-wrover-kit (board: esp-wrover-kit; platform: espressif32; framework: espidf)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > Espressif ESP-WROVER-KIT
DEBUG: Current (ftdi) On-board (ftdi) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:

• framework-espidf 3.40100.200827 (4.1.0)
  • tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-mconf 1.4060000.20190628 (406.0.0)
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
  • toolchain-esp32ulp 1.22851.191205 (2.28.51)
  • toolchain-xtensa32 2.80200.200827 (8.2.0)
    Reading CMake configuration…
    – Found Git: C:/Program Files/Git/cmd/git.exe (found version “2.21.0.windows.1”)
    – The C compiler identification is GNU 8.2.0
    – The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.2.0
    – The ASM compiler identification is GNU
    – Found assembler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
    – Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
    – Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe – broken
    – Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git <worin fully on local directories Hello WORLD… 1 liner …!!!
CMake Error at C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-cmake/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:60 (message):
The C compiler

"C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_b75c5 && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_b75c5        <<<<<<< garbidge ???? the same on 3 computers 

FAILED: cmTC_b75c5

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_b75c5 && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.<<<<< think ninja  NEVER TESTED 

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/framework-espidf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:308 (__project)
CMakeLists.txt:3 (project)

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 43.56 seconds =================================================================================

Processing esp32dev (board: esp32dev; platform: espressif32; framework: espidf)

PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > Espressif ESP32 Dev Module
PACKAGES:

• tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
    – Found Git: C:/Program Files/Git/cmd/git.exe (found version “2.21.0.windows.1”)
    – Found assembler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
    – Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
    – Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe – broken
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
CMake Error at C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-cmake/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:60 (message):
The C compiler

"C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe"

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_86f13 && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_86f13.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_86f13

FAILED: cmTC_86f13

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_86f13.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_86f13 && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_86f13.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/framework-espidf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:308 (__project)

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 7.07 seconds =================================================================================

Processing lolin32 (platform: espressif32; framework: espidf; board: lolin32)

PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > WEMOS LOLIN32
PACKAGES:

• tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

The C compiler

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_c022a && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_c022a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_c022a

FAILED: cmTC_c022a

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_c022a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_c022a && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_c022a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 8.02 seconds =================================================================================

Environment Status Duration

esp32doit-devkit-v1 FAILED 00:00:10.604
esp-wrover-kit FAILED 00:00:43.563
esp32dev FAILED 00:00:07.073
lolin32 FAILED 00:00:08.016
============================================================================ 4 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:01:09.255 ============================================================================
PS C:\devl\projects\test> platformio get -s projects_dir
Usage: platformio [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]…
Try ‘platformio -h’ for help.

Error: No such command “get”
PS C:\devl\projects\test> pio run
Warning! lib_extra_dirs configuration option is deprecated in section [platformio]! Please move it to global env section
PACKAGES:

Found 32 compatible libraries
    Scanning dependencies…
    No dependencies
    Building in release mode
    File “C:\Users\xxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 510, in
    main()
    File “C:\Users\xxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 493, in main
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin’
    compilation terminated.
    *** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\src\main.cpp.o] Error 1
    ================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 2.78 seconds =================================================================================

Processing esp-wrover-kit (board: esp-wrover-kit; platform: espressif32; framework: espidf)
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > Espressif ESP-WROVER-KIT
DEBUG: Current (ftdi) On-board (ftdi) External (esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:

• tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

The C compiler

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp-wrover-kit/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_87aff && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_87aff.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_87aff

FAILED: cmTC_87aff

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_87aff.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_87aff && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_87aff.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 4.90 seconds =================================================================================

Processing esp32dev (board: esp32dev; platform: espressif32; framework: espidf)

PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > Espressif ESP32 Dev Module
PACKAGES:

• tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

The C compiler

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32dev/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_1548e && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_1548e.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_1548e

FAILED: cmTC_1548e

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_1548e.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_1548e && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_1548e.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 3.70 seconds =================================================================================

Processing lolin32 (platform: espressif32; framework: espidf; board: lolin32)

PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (2.0.0) > WEMOS LOLIN32
PACKAGES:

• tool-cmake 3.16.4
  • tool-idf 1.0.1
  • tool-ninja 1.9.0
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
    See also “C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

The C compiler

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/lolin32/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_ce745 && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_ce745.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_ce745

FAILED: cmTC_ce745

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_ce745.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_ce745 && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_ce745.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 3.63 seconds =================================================================================

Environment Status Duration

esp32doit-devkit-v1 FAILED 00:00:02.785
esp-wrover-kit FAILED 00:00:04.899
esp32dev FAILED 00:00:03.699
lolin32 FAILED 00:00:03.635
============================================================================ 4 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:15.017 ============================================================================
PS C:\devl\projects\test> cd test
‘’’

something is seriously messed up in the instalation procedure !!!
using a standard setup… I NEVER got it running since 2 jears
cleaning , rebuilding ,reloading does not help… installation procedure screwed up

If you want help, please answer these questions (that I have asked twice before):

So can you provide more information:

1. Are you using a virus scanner or some other security solution? If so, which one?
  2. Is your home directory a network drive, mapped to a network drive or a OneDrive directory?
  3. Does your home directory include space or non-ASCII characters, in particular the part you have edited to xxxxx ?

Houston, we have a problem! :frowning_face:

There’s nothing clear at all.

Don’t copy them. They live in, I think, c:\users\YOUR_NAME\.platformio on Windows. That’s where they should be left alone. Do not “dick about” (Scottish term) moving stuff you don’t understand!

Nope, wrong, sorry. A standard install puts stuff where it will go looking for it later, don’t mess with it. Just trust me on that point.

Wrong. It searches for sources:

• in src in your project;
  • in lib in your project;
  • in global library install location:
  • in lib_extra_dirs as per platformio.ini;
  • etc.

What do you mean “adding the compiler”? You create a project, you specify a board, you run a compile. PlatformIO detects that you don’t have the toolchain – compiler, linker etc – and downloads it. You don’t!

YOU DON’T!

The installation knows. You don’t need to know. I don’t need to know, but I’m a nosey b’stard, so I go looking – but I don’t touch.

Yes, so you keep saying, but you are so wrong!

Stop shouting. We understand what you are saying, even in lower case. :grin: But you are talking nonsense.

Interesting. I was under the impression you had followed my instructions above to see if you could get a simple sketch, with a library, to compile. You appear to have gone “off piste” and done something else. Where does lib_extra_dirs appear in my example?

I think you should do the following:

• Answer all the questions that @manuelbl has asked you three times to answer;
  • Answer the additional ones I asked you;
  • Follow my instructions above for a simple sketch, and let us know what happened.

Until you do that, there’s very little anyone can do to help you out. Also:

• Stop making unsubstantiated claims that everything is broken, or never tested, etc;
  • Stop shouting.

Stick to the facts, you are allowed your opinion, of course, but an opinion is not necessarily correct. Or so my wife tells me! :wink:

Cheers,
Norm.

dear all

Thank you for answering, but we are clearly heading the wrong way.

you are asking for parameters not related at all, and jes my shoe size is 42.
im running windows, so it runs on Linux, fine … it does not on windows

i followed procedure as decribed
installed Vscode on a blank system (blank no anti virus …!!!) on the
C:\ disk (do I need to tell you that under windows C: is local and not a network drive

installed the  extention platform IO on  the C:\  disk (See all complaints in the error reports as send as absolute prove !!!)

I waited Long enough for each step to complete successfully 
    I installed  the  esp tools ,and libraries as requested 
                  -in the arduino ide environment 
                  -in the platform environment 
                  -I download all on every install so implicitely all  at least this weeks versions

and restarted / rebooted multiple times(see  title).

There is NOTHING I possibly  could possibly have done wrong do wrong.    Veriy nice  for an automatic system  where you are not supposed to change  anything 

I create the most simple project possible  hello world ( that will prove to be far to complex  for platform IO)
     As you can see   c:\devl\test (project  directory )  is on the c disk.
                      c:\user\xxx(username\test    no spaces .... very  simple....

the project was created by PIO home   (just 3 fields to enter)
    the project is  simple  NOT A SINGLE library needed  except   good old basic C
    there are no includes  except  the problemtic for PLATFORMIO  arduino.h (completely  internaly suggested and handled)
                the arduino.h  is not even reached it crashes dramaticaly before 

I use ESP32   this is the question I Have No arduino  standardize on esp32!!!! i use the simplest  "esp32doit-devkit-v1"
                 i use  the  platform is   clearly  "expressive32"   /tried with arduino to same effect (both are installed correctly )

for he environment i declare a board   board = esp32doit-devkit-v1, there can be others  like the wrover-kit
                                                 [env:esp-wrover-kit]
                                                  board = esp-wrover-kit 
                 there is little difference... but certainly not for a ingenious single line hello world program.

up to now, this, the project is  created -using the STANDARD   platform io   PIO home  page (on default location)
                                             -using the CLI  run init and  run commands .....

im very sorry i did  a test run, explicitely  stating a  copy of the basicespressive  libraries                
               there is nothing  that I CAN DO WRONG here  up to this point 

it is platformio sole responsibility  to:
                             -install the C/c++  and  related libraries   (using the correct library setup/ most recent one ) 
                             -setup  the links to    project directories 
                                                     library directories 
                                                              -basic c /c++
                                                              - the c language 
                                                              - the espessive libraries....
                                                              - do the compiler  setups....

python 3.8 as requested was installed(blank system)     on the  vscode - platform io suggested place 
                                           1 machine  has it installed  separately  (path for python corretly addapted it runs ...)                                  

now  it all goes wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

run the compiler !!!!!!!!                                             

the tupidly fully automated platformio   ( i have no way to see check nor change that)
                does not  find   the  PROJECT  CODE    c:\devl\test\src\main.c        c:\user\xxxx\test\main.c   on an other machine 
                where the project directory    is      c:\devl\test       

the COMPILER  seems to look for the code  in a magical   "esp32doit-devkit-v1"   directory  dedicated  to a special  environment,
                one of the many possible, this is utterly absurd, and indicates  a MAYOR error in the setup

user code is in project/src   not writen per  environment (fully out of my controll as it should be)
                it is like that in every  individual run on every individual machine....
                this is THE FACT to worry about, all the rest are unrelated stupid remarks not to the point.

if the color of my skin or gray becommin hair  matter ,  we  belong in a harry potter  scyfy movie
                       and are  trying  to put sand in our own eyes, in an attempt not solve the problem (stupid administration)
                       there ar 1 miljon   possibiliteis to look at non related things .... nota single any answer in the direction of the facts.
                       We are  barking the wrong way!!!!!!!

Building in release mode

Generating partitions .pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin << it does not find the resulting flashable file (of caurse not it FAILED!!!)
xtensa-esp32-elf-g++: error: src\main.cpp: No such file or directory << it did not find the source in esp32doit-devkit-v1\src (of course not it is not supposed to be there
compilation terminated.
*** [.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\src\main.cpp.o] Error 1 << it did not find the source in esp32doit-devkit-v1\src (of course not it is not supposed to be there

File “C:\Users\xxx.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoespressif32\tools\gen_esp32part.py”, line 510, in <<< BUG in python ???
main()
with stdout_binary if args.output == ‘-’ else open(args.output, ‘wb’) as f: <<<looking the wrong way
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘.pio\build\esp32doit-devkit-v1\partitions.bin’ << can not find what it did not create / in possibly the wrong spot…
================================================================================= [FAILED] Took 10.60 seconds =================================================================================

FACT:        platform io   mistakes  the  project  directory  for  the   ESP environment 
                  whatever I do  it picks the wrong  directory   "esp32doit-devkit-v1"    is there for potential  device specialities 
                                 not  the  project direcory 

VSCODE  folder settings are  correct at c:\devlo\test   where the main in  src\main.cpp
                  platform io   is set at                c:\devlo\test
                  terminal is set at                     c:\devlo\test

FACT:     it seems but not that clear  that it does not find or work with  corrupt  or badly formatted  cmake files...(platformio created)
               it seems but not that clear  that it does not find or work with  

Where do " I " set the tools directory
		 where do " I " set the compiler
         Where do I set the tempory files
                   (all fully relevant related unanswered questions …      

C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe

(installed by platform io), placing the tools and compiler in the right spot (copying files all over) does not help at all.

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git <<< unclear??? i use NO GIT REPOSITORY ???
The C compiler

Linking :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

additionaly it fails on the link ( i assume as compiling fails drasticaly there is nothing to link!!!0

Change Dir: C:/devl/projects/test/.pio/build/esp32doit-devkit-v1/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Users/xxx/.platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja.exe cmTC_b75c5 && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_b75c5

FAILED: cmTC_b75c5       <<<<<<<   unclear what is meant

cmd.exe /C "cd . && C:\Users\xxx\.platformio\packages\toolchain-xtensa32\bin\xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj 

-o cmTC_b75c5 && cd ."

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe: error: CMakeFiles/cmTC_b75c5.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

as the facts tell us :

this is unrelated to "NETWORK FILES, virusses ...other hoke   requests  questions" irrelevant  to the problem.

As platform is supposed to setup and find its way in its self created mess (Im not even allowed to see !!!)
there is nothing an honest user could do to make this work.
that problem is there for years … platform IO not working not tested on the simplest possible program…

on top of that THE FACTS are ignored, … and we are not advancing …
with irrelevant questions
if setup is bothered with firewall PLATFORMIO is to be considdered a dangerous VIRUS trying to do non standard call home
if setup is bothered with a virus controll platformIO does dangerous faulty things (im not switching off security as programmers
mess up on thier basic programming scils

as platform IO is only handling and passing  file names and directories not doing any editing ,compiling ......
       it is at least supposed  to correclty  handling  an old simple , standard NTFS(we are not in the dos age any more i hope.....
       its the only thing it has to  do if it does it incorrectly it is not worth my time.

im for this a simple user  that tried  the program for years and wants to use it ..... BUT IT DOES NOT WORK.
   I do not believe  the described problem is created by the user , with the number of tests on different environments ....
   i do not believe it works on windows. nor has it ever run on windows  (please bar fromsaying it does!!!)

if we are not talking about the real problems … im going to wait another 10 jears !!!

-have grey hair (by now)
 -

Sorry, wrong again!

Your C drive, or at least, your user part of it (c:\users\YOUR_NAME) can be a free standing folder on a local drive, or it can be mapped to a “One Drive” location. In my last contract my home folder was c:\users\normandunbar but was mapped to a One Drive location and was not actually a local drive after all.

And it does run on Windows. Take a look at You Tube, almost any 3D printer guru uses Marlin and the vast majority of those use Windows. There are videos galore showing PlatformIO compiling Marlin source code, on Windows, and doing it perfectly.

There are people posting in this forum who have been doing the same thing. You are churning out unsubstantiated claims again. You’re the one having problems and yet, you rant and rave about it, but seemingly refuse to answer any requests for information to help you.

I would disagree given that so far you have not managed to format a posting here correctly. Sorry if that hut=rts, but the vast majority of your recent reply is formatted as code when it’s plain text. This is very confusing as long lines scroll off the side etc. It makes for difficult reading.

Once again, please just list the steps you took. If you followed some instructions online, just link to them we need to see exactly what steps you took.

Let us be the judge of whether or not we are heading in the right direction, please.

Failing that, if PlatformIO is so much trouble, why not consider sticking with the Arduino IDE if it works better, for you?

Cheers,
Norm.

That’s an interesting statement:

Doesn’t your project contain a file main.cpp in the src folder? The most simple project would consist platformio.ini and this very file.

Can you show the complete structure (directory and files) of your project (with the exception of the .pio directory)?

You don’t need to do any of this. If tools or libraries are needed, PlatformIO will take care of it. If you have downloaded anything manually, it will likely be ignored or in the worst case cause problems.

You probably don’t want to hear it but I propose you execute these steps:

• Uninstall Visual Studio Code
  • Remove all manually downloaded libraries, tools and possible remains of Visual Studio Code and PlatformIO
  • Reinstall Visual Studio Code
  • Within Visual Studio Code, install the PlatformIO extension
  • Open PIO Home (from within Visual Studio Code) and create a new project (Framework: Arduino)
  • Open the main.cpp file and click on the Build icon (checkmark) in the status bar at the bottom

These are the minimal steps to verify your installation. Report any errors.

as you request a simpler program then hello world (as stated in the title)
as you request a non network drive where it is c:\ in windows
as i place the main (it is even automatic) in project_dir/scr
as it is i reinstalled over 100 times on 3 different machines (see the title)
as the evidence (error report is not even read) it indicates the above

as the error is on 3(recent installed blank machines)
as the only way is to look how and where it finds the source (but that is ignored)

why bother answering questions  on a completely faultty  trail.

PLATFORMIO Does NOT WORK, its automation has a mind of its own
it is closed and all hints in that direction are YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO NOTHNG.
as is refered to linux on a windows machine
As the error report is consistent always identical the same error

Im losing my time

Hi @dreuzel,

Yes indeed, one man’s “Hello World” is another mans “how did s/he write that, I wonder?” - especially as you didn;t supply any code for us to exaine.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, while the C:\ drive may well be a local drive, your home drive (c:\users\YOUR_NAME) is not guaranteed to be local. It can be mapped to a “One Drive” location and One Drive causes problems with some applications. That’s why we need to know if it’s local or not.

Also, does your username have accented characters in it? @manuelbl asked you to confirm this questions and you have yet to do so.

Yes, but, is the project dir under c:\users\YOUR_NAME? And is that a local drive or mapped to One Drive? This is one of the questions you never answer. Are you not able to answer because you don’t know, or do you just like to troll people?

Yes, so you say. You have yet to point us at the exact instructions you used to install “over 100 times on 3 different machines”. Imagine if you had installed it incorrectly over 300 times? It still won’t work if you do it wrongly, will it? This is why @manuelbl has been constantly asking you to tell us how you installed it. Please reply!

What do you mean please, I don;t understand what you are saying. Sorry. :frowning_face:

When you create a project, did you actually type anything in to the file src/main.cpp? Creating a project doesn’t - at least note on the version of PlatformIO that I’m using, the latest, create a main.cpp file in src. Watch and I’ll demonstrate:

norman@Hubble:~/temp/temp$ pio init --board uno

The current working directory /home/norman/temp/temp will be used for the project.

The next files/directories have been created in /home/norman/temp/temp
include - Put project header files here
lib - Put here project specific (private) libraries
src - Put project source files here
platformio.ini - Project Configuration File

Project has been successfully initialized! Useful commands:
`pio run` - process/build project from the current directory
`pio run --target upload` or `pio run -t upload` - upload firmware to a target
`pio run --target clean` - clean project (remove compiled files)
`pio run --help` - additional information
norman@Hubble:~/temp/temp$ ls src

Src is empty.

Why do you never answer questions but simply continue to rant? Do you want help or not?

It does work, it works very well. You cannot get it to work, so there is a number of possible reasons:

• You cannot understand simple instructions;
  • You may have installed it incorrectly;
  • You may have a broken Windows installation on three computers;
  • You may have a broken Python installation of three computers;
  • There may be a bug in the version of PlatformIO that you are using, but you never tell us which version;
  • PlatformIo may well be broken on WIndows 10! (Highly unlikely given the number of people using it happily!)

PlatformIO is as open as an open thing in opensville. PlatformIO · GitHub if you are ineterested.

What do you mean please? This makes no sense.

This will happen if you do the same wrong thing over and over.

Well, stop wasting time and answer these questions, please. It’s a simple ask:

3. Does your home directory include space or non-ASCII characters, in particular the part you have edited to xxxxx ?
  4. How did you install Python on WIndows? Where from?
  5. What version of Python are you using?
  6. What version of PlatformO have you installed into VSCode?
  7. What other extensions do you have installed in VScode? (See helloWorld standard platform io (all SHOULD work automaticaly?° not working after 2 weeks and 100 tries -reinstall - #8 by normandunbar for my details, do yours differ?)
  8. Have you white-listed the folder your Platformio tools run from?
  9. Please post the code in src/main.cpp.
  10. Please post the platformio.ini file.

This is a reasonable ask. If you continue to refuse to give the information we need to help you , then I’m afraid our romance is over. Your move…

Cheers,
Norm.

please after w week of crap, only one failing suggestion.

Use the command line…
All other remarks where useless

it is the simplest possible program. Hello world and read the answers it is published
it is the simplest possible setup on disk bkank system
STOP NAGGING ME

THIS WAY YOU WILL NEVER SOLVE ANY PROBLEM.
I am angy in the mean time !

PLatformIO doe NOT WORK on windows it was never testeted not even
for the simplest programs,

I will block all developers tryinh to use it until there isa working version.

Should you ever wish to ask for help again, please make sure that you supply the information asked for. You have constantly refused to do so, and as such, no-one is able to assist you. It’s not rocket science.

That’s fine. I’m trying to help you but you refuse to help me help you, because you constantly rant and rave and make unsubstantiated claims, like you are doing again, but you refuse to answer questions regarding your problem. Nobody can help you in this way I’m afraid.

Yet another rant. You are completely wrong, as I have pointed out in the previous responses to you. It works, it works well. People are using it on Windows and having no problems. You on the other hand refuse to help yourself by constantly ranting and raving and not answering us.

So, let us assume for the same of argument, that there is a serious problem with PlatformIO, and that you have been chosen by the Universe to be the discoverer of said problem. How are all those other developers you refer to, ever going to get a working version if you constantly refuse to answer the questions that could solve this mythical problem?

And you better beware also, making unsubstantiated claims, in a public forum, can cause you all sorts of legal problems depending on which part of the world you are in. There are libel and slander laws you better be aware of before you go shouting out about things.

Do you know why? Because you won’t answer any questions. What is your problem with supplying the answers? I can tell that you are frustrated by all this, so you have two options if yo want to get a solution:

• Calm down and answer the bl–dy questions;
  • Go back to the Arduino IDE, and stay there.

Cheers,
Norm.

3 Likes

Hey @dreuzel,

I remembered that I had Windows 10 on my laptop, just that it was never used so I installed Python, VSCode and PlatformIO IDE and built the sample Blink sketch.

It seems that Windows 10 and PlatformIO does work and is able to compile a simple Hello World sketch.

I’ve done it over here: Trying to install Platformio into VSCode, but it can't find Python, even though it is onboard! - #7 by tonymedsker

(If you are interested that is.)

EDIT: If you wish to respond, please respond here and not on the other thread – that one is someone else’s thread. Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.