GET request sent to server located in Russia ""

Hi guys, when I search in VS Code, PIO Home, under Libraries, the extension is accessing which is located in Russia. Does anyone know why this is the case? itself is located in Germany so that makes me question, is PIO retrieving source code from servers located in Russia.

More info:
The GET request was /v2/lib/search?query=ClusterDuck+Protocol&page=1 HTTP/1.1. It was sent as soon as I hit Search.

Would appreciate any insight.

Seems to me like different subdomains are just hosted on different servers. is registered with the german server provider Hetzner (Whois Lookup Captcha), while has the same IP as and is used for accepting the API requests for board and library searches. If you used something like Wireshark it only sees the IP and has reverse-resolved it to nm1 instead api, although the code does the search request to is even hosted on yet a different server, hosted in the USA by Cloudflare. Since the project creater himself is Ukranian, I don’t think seeing a russian server is much of suprise.

1 Like

Thank you for your insight. I just wanted to make sure the server or content is not compromised.

Hi! Good question. Please don’t worry with our servers. We DO NOT host data in Russia. Our RND team is located in Ukraine, you can check

There is a problem with - IP range. This is the Ukrainian zone. You can check it with $ whois However, the upper level of zone - belongs to a Russian company.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 13.56.01

The new PlatformIO Universal Registry will be mirrored across the globe, we plan to announce it soon. We have a very good own physical server in the Ukrainian data center. A lot of our prototypes and heavy things (such this forum) are hosted here, in Ukraine.


Hi Ivan,

Thanks for clarifying and also many more thanks for creating this great platform. On a different note, I was really looking forward to using it for ESP32 debugging. Everything worked fine until we realized that we couldn’t use the latest IDF 4.2 which has bug fixes we require. My colleague even created a topic on this here. We tried forcing PIO to use the latest version of the IDF using the platform_packages = framework-espidf... handle, but that didn’t work. We ended up switching to Eclipse for now but it would be nice if there was a short tutorial showing how this can be done manually, without having to wait for PIO to add support for a certain repo.