Do this step by step.
- Forget about static IP.
- Make your network work correctly (with DHCP).
- If everything works correctly (and you still need static IP) go for the static IP.
Do this step by step.
Doing some research now
Hi Boris, quick update ….
My ESP32 project going fine now, making a lot of progress.
My Wifi system not great, I’ve turned off the remote Mercusys Halo S3 unit for now.
Works fine for internet, whatsApp, etc on phone / laptop in workshop, but I just can’t stop it creating its own subnet. Might need better equipment. I’ll keep researching.
Anyway, thank you so much for all your help !
Just FYI, even without a static IP you can use the mDNS technology and make the ESP32 advertise under a hostname, like esp32.local, which should then be recognized by all modern operating systems and browsers, so that you can just go to http://esp32.local to access the board.
Thanks for the info Max, I’ll do some experiments over the weekend and get back to you.
Trevor
If WhatsApp still works, which suggests the ESP32 is actually reaching the internet. First check the IP printed by the ESP32 against your router’s DHCP/client list and print the subnet mask and gateway too. If it still reports “connected” with the router completely powered off, you may be connecting to a different Wi-Fi network or seeing a stale/static IP in the code. Check that you’re using WiFi.localIP() and not a manually assigned address, and remove any WiFi.config() call while testing. ![]()