Esp-idf v5.0.0 not finding led_strip.h/components?

Basic Question: Why can’t I compile something with

“include <led_strip.h>”

in an espressif32 project? This is with framework-espidf v 5.0.0 so I don’t think this is related to older questions that have to do with PlatformIO only supporting v4.4.0 and earlier.

This seems to be functionality that is located/included in IDF Component Registry (espressif.com) but this does not show up in a PlatformIO library search.

How do I bring in esp-idf components??

Executing task: C:\Users\jeffr.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe run

Processing esp32-s3-devkitc-1 (platform: espressif32; board: esp32-s3-devkitc-1; framework: espidf)
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: Redirecting...
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (6.0.1) > Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8 (8 MB QD, No PSRAM)
HARDWARE: ESP32S3 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 8MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (esp-builtin) On-board (esp-builtin) External (cmsis-dap, esp-bridge, esp-prog, iot->bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:

• framework-espidf @ 3.50000.0 (5.0.0)
  • tool-cmake @ 3.16.4
  • tool-esptoolpy @ 1.40400.0 (4.4.0)
  • tool-idf @ 1.0.1
  • tool-mconf @ 1.4060000.20190628 (406.0.0)
  • tool-ninja @ 1.9.0
  • toolchain-esp32ulp @ 1.23500.220830 (2.35.0)
  • toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 11.2.0+2022r1
  • toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3 @ 11.2.0+2022r1
    Reading CMake configuration…
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder → Library Dependency Finder (LDF) — PlatformIO latest documentation
    LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
    Found 0 compatible libraries
    Scanning dependencies…
    No dependencies
    Building in release mode
    Compiling .pio\build\esp32-s3-devkitc-1\src\main.o
    src/main.c:5:10: fatal error: led_strip.h: No such file or directory

• Looking for led_strip.h dependency? Check our library registry!
  • CLI > platformio lib search “header:led_strip.h”
  • Web > PlatformIO Registry

5 | #include <led_strip.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
*** [.pio\build\esp32-s3-devkitc-1\src\main.o] Error 1
========================== [FAILED] Took 4.81 seconds ==========================

• The terminal process “C:\Users\jeffr.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe ‘run’” terminated with >exit code: 1.
  • Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Right. This library / compnent is not listed in the PlatformIO registry. I doubt that any external ESP-IDF components like the one you want are.

You need to just download the component you want and put it in the components folder of the project.

https://components-file.espressif.com/a67b46e1-346b-4ebb-ad21-63788f4accfb.tgz

See docs

https://docs.platformio.org/en/stable/frameworks/espidf.html#esp-idf-components

Excellent! Thanks. For others: the documentation was a bit misleading about “automatically scans” for components. I created my components folder and placed the led_strip directory in it. Tried to build and it failed to find it.

It was fixed by accidentally editing my top CMakeLists.txt and this forced some sort of full rebuild. This seems to find it and compile ok now.