Can not see any local variables while debugging (nrf52-dk, mbed)

Then you have -Os set by default.

Add this to your platformio.ini:

build_unflags = -Os
build_flags = -O0 -g3 -ggdb

And retry debugging.

When I add this line

build_unflags = -Os

then i get an error while building:

/Users/Admin/.platformio/packages/framework-mbed/targets/TARGET_NORDIC/TARGET_NRF5x/TARGET_NRF52/sleep.c: In function ‘hal_sleep’:
/Users/Admin/.platformio/packages/framework-mbed/targets/TARGET_NORDIC/TARGET_NRF5x/TARGET_NRF52/sleep.c:86:1: error: unrecognizable insn:

When I only add the build_flags line

build_flags = -O0 -g3 -ggdb

then it is possible to build (success), but unfortunately the same behaviour while debugging (can not see the variables).

Try my original configuration but with -O1 instead of -O0. No optimization semes to leed to a assembler error…

I changed to -O1. Now it builds (success) but for debugging still the same: can not see the variables.

[env:nrf52_dk]
platform = nordicnrf52
framework = mbed
board = nrf52_dk
debug_tool = jlink
build_unflags = -Os
build_flags = -O1 -g3 -ggdb

right? Then how do you debug? Using pio debug or what IDE / configuration?

Yes, exactly this configuration. I’m using the platformio-IDE and just tried to use an nrf52 mbed example (mbed-blinky). I’m a new user of platformio.

The arduino-blinky-xample works without problems…

Since I have neither the board nor the debugger tool I can’t reproduce.

Maybe you need a more complex function to debug because -O1 really does optimize away the trivial blinky code so that no local variable is used anymore.

I can refer to you the video tutorial ThingForward TechBlog: First steps with PlatformIO´s unified Debugger - YouTube and general documentation.

Anyway, thanks for your support!

I will try some things and will write my solution here if I will find it.

Until now, I did not found a solution for that. I also tried exactly the same example (and other examples) with the default platformio.ini-config and the edited config (unbuild/build-flags,…) on Windows10 which shows the same behaviour.
As example:

Uh, this looks perfectly fine?

myled is a global variable and it’s there. Also the compiler completely optmized i to be held in a register so it doesn’t show up as a global / local var. Would have to see the assembly, but at -O1 that’s pretty reasonable.

Oh, yes, absolutely. This is not a good example.

I edited it a little bit:

• I would expect to see “j” and “myled” in Locals.
  • I expect to see “j”, “i” and “myled” on the left side in “Überwachen”.
    Makes it sense that I can not see these variables?

Additionally, when I tried it with the arduino-framework, then I could see the value of the variable “i” when I did a mouseover over the variable. Here, with the mbed framework, this does not work.

Here is an similar example with the arduino framework:

i used this platform.ini:

[env:nrf52_dk]
platform = nordicnrf52
framework = arduino
board = nrf52_dk
debug_tool = jlink
build_unflags = -Os
build_flags = -O1 -g3 -ggdb

The same behaviour when I use Eclipse as IDE: works fine with arduino-framework, does not showing variables with mbed-framework.

It works for me. See below.

Please provide the next information:

1. Start debug session
  2. Go to “Debug Console” and type
# list call stack frames
> bt

# select the latest frame
> select-frame NUMBER

# print local variables
> info locals

For example

> bt
> select-frame 0
> info locals

Please provide info here.

The blink-example with the output of the debug console:

@valeros could you help here?

I still haven’t found a solution for that. Does anyone have a solution for that?

We fixed this mbed’s issue on our side in the latest PIO Core 3.6.1rc2. Please open PIO IDE Terminal and type pio upgrade. Everything should work now.

That‘s awesome. Great, thanks!

Hello, I’m having same issue with PlatformIO 6.0.2 on macOS 11.5.2

> bt
> select-frame 0
> info locals

gives
No locals.