Add STM32F429DISC1 (F429ZI_Discovery) to the arduino framework?

This board has support with several other frameworks (like stm32cube) but not arduino. Can it be added? I have tried to create a variant for it manually but ran into many errors with the python files when i tried to compile after adding the board as a new variant folder and the documentation doesnt mention what to do if that happens. At least that i have found anyway, if it does exist I apologize in advance.

The STM32 Arduino core only supports the Nucleo variant of it (GitHub - stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32: STM32 core support for Arduino). You should be able to use that as “close enough”?

Feature requests for adding new boards to an Arduino core go to that Arduino core. Issues · stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 · GitHub

The Arduino core has docs on how to create a new variant. There are also PlatformIO examples available: GitHub - maxgerhardt/pio-custom-stm32duino-variants: A short example of how to use a custom variant folder for the PlatformIO + STM32Duino environment

You can completely control where PlatformIO looks for the general variant folder and what variant a board is mapped to. So, if you have a working variant folder, doing a PlatformIO project with it is two config options away…

Issue Add documentation for board_build.variants_dir option · Issue #462 · platformio/platform-ststm32 · GitHub is already open for adding this feature in the documentation, so that people don’t have to read the Python builder code to see that that is possible.