Add page break to a listing?

I have what’s probably a question that shows my age, but being a retired software developer I have to ask. I sometimes like to send a copy of my source code to a printer so I can sit back in my easy chair and mark it up with a pencil. (Old fashioned, I know, but…)

My question is, in the PlatformIO IDE editor is there a way of inserting a form feed character into my source file so that when printed there are page breaks between, for example, setup() and loop(), or before functions?

I did look for an answer before posting this, but could not find anything.

Thanks,

Jack

Maybe!

(I’m old in the tooth too!)

If the editor you are using to write source code allows you to “insert special character” or similar (Notepad++ on Windows does this) the add a comment above setup() and loop() etc, and insert a character 12 (decimal).

The comment marker will prevent the compiler complaining and the inserted form feed should let the printer throw a page. However, modern printers are nothing like the old dot matrix days when a character could cause a page throw. If your printer is younger than the 1980s, it probably won’t work.

Cheers,
Norm.

Thanks for the reply, Norm. I was hoping that it could be somehow done from the default PlatformIO editor.

Jack

By the way, the workaround is to copy a FF character from a text file that has that character in it and simply past it into the source file where you wan to place it. No need to precede it with a comment (i.e., a //), the compiler seems to ignore whitespace characters.

However, the PlatformIO editor does not have a Print menu option. Good grief!!!

Thanks again Norm,

Jack

Search the “extensions” area for the “printcode” extension. That works.

Cheers,
Norm.